Saturday, June 28, 2014

Time for a Miracle -- Novena Day Four

A LITTLE HEART TO HEART


It was often said of Pier Giorgio that the Holy Eucharist and the Blessed Virgin were the two poles of his world of prayer.  How appropriate, then, to pause during our novena and honor the Sacred Heart of Jesus and Immaculate Heart of Mary. 

At the age of 24, about six months before his death, Pier Giorgio wrote a letter to his good friend Isidoro Bonini sharing some intimate thoughts and concerns:

"Every day that passes by convinces me all the more how ugly the world is, how much misery there is and unfortunately good people are suffering while we who have been given many graces by God have alas! paid Him back so poorly.  It’s a terrible admission which torments my brain while I am studying.  Every now and then I ask myself:  shall I go on trying to follow the right path?  Will I have the good fortune to persevere to the end?  In this tremendous clash of doubts, the Faith given to me in Baptism suggests to me with a sure voice:  “By yourself you can do nothing, but if you have God as the center of your every action then, yes, you will reach the goal.” And I would like to be able to do precisely that and to take as a maxim the saying of St. Augustine:  “Lord, our heart is restless until it rests in you.”
May our hearts find rest in the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary as we press on toward our heavenly goal.

Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati, pray for us.

Verso l'alto! 

No comments: