Tuesday, November 17, 2009

From Wyoming to Wisconsin and Beyond!

If I were a better blogger, I would be posting all of the wonderful news about people and places where Pier Giorgio is making an impact. It's hard to keep up with him! Just yesterday, I spoke with a youth coordinator in the Diocese of Oakland (CA) and enjoyed hearing his stories of how teens react to the message of Pier Giorgio. This week, The SaintCast will have a booth at the National Catholic Youth Conference in Kansas City and plans to pass out Pier Giorgio prayer cards there. In Clintonville, Wisconsin, Pier Giorgio is the Saint of the Month both at the school and in Religious Education. At Wyoming Catholic College, a commons building has been named "Frassati Hall." And so on...

Yesterday, I also received a moving note from a woman in her 60s. She and her husband were forced to relocate following Hurricane Katrina. They ended up in Mississippi and after a series of events she began attending a certain parish for adoration. She writes,
"While at adoration I found a prayer card on Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati. I read some information on his life and began to ask for his intercession on my finding a job that God may want me to have. My husband attends adoration with me at times and he is now also praying for his intercession for his employment. We want to be productive and be led to where we may be needed. ... We were feeling totally lost and unwanted with our failure to find work. We have people praying for us and now we have asked for the intercession of Blessed Pier Giogio Frassati. After a few weeks of my asking for his intercession I was contacted by a company that teaches after school art classes to elementary school aged children, to be one of their instructors. I begin working on my own with the children after the Thanksgiving holidays."
Two parts of her story touch me the most. The first is how she "found" a prayer card at this church while attending Adoration. Obviously, someone put it there; maybe one of you! We never can fully comprehend what God is doing with us here as we so often plod through each day seeking for meaning. And rarely do we see the good that comes from our simple actions like putting prayer cards in a church that a total stranger will come across and take comfort and encouragement from in a difficult time. Thanks to each of you who have helped FrassatiUSA put more than 65,000 prayer cards into circulation over the past two years. What a great start! We are planting Pier Giorgio seeds and, surely, the harvest will be pleasing to the Lord.

The second thing about her story is that she and her husband are in their 60s and have embraced Pier Giorgio. So often, we think of him as only a model for the youth. But I know for a fact that he is loved by people from 8 to 80 years old! His example is one that crosses all demographics. His message is universal: Holiness is for everyone! Let's continue to spread it to everyone we encounter. Verso l'alto!

No comments: